It’s not often I come across a book I want to read a few times over. Live Happy: Ten Practices for Choosing Joy is one of those books. I read it three times so far!
Live Happy combines the science of happiness and ways you can create joy each and every day. From an attitude of gratitude to finding meaning even in the darkest of hours, we can all improve the quality of our lives through small, daily practices.
The book includes stories from people who worked through life’s challenges through simple acts they made each day. Some of the stories you’ll read are from celebrities like Alanis Morisette and Hoda Koth. Best-selling positive psychologist, Shawn Achor, offers his research on happiness and is among the 40 stories available from all kinds of people. You will feel inspired about your own journey.
- Attitude – find joy with a positive attitude
- Connection – relationships are key
- Meaning – learn the wisdom behind the meaning
- Creativity – create fulfillment by tapping into your creative side
- Gratitude – what are you grateful for?
- Mindfulness – learn to self-regulate your attention
- Health – develop your good-health practices
- Resilience – understand your ability to bounce back from disappointment or tragedy
- Spirituality – how to draw on your specific spirituality and faith
- Giving Back – be the change you wish to see in the world and create happiness for all
You can read it cover to cover or jump around through the chapters. Happiness doesn’t mean we’re skipping through the day singing with unicorns. It’s the little steps we take to reduce the stress and feel more optimistic that we can overcome the difficult times that come our way.
I started a daily gratitude journal on January 1st this year. I write a few words about what I was grateful for that day each night. I’ve had good days and really bad days this year, but I can always find something in a day that I’m grateful for. I look back in the journal and it makes me smile.
I hope you check out the book! You never know how small happy acts will change your life. Come back and let us know. Live happily.
This book review includes the thoughts and opinions of the blog owner. No compensation was exchanged for this review.